Mommy Makeover Surgery Recovery Tips
Mommy makeover surgeries are quickly becoming one of the most popular cosmetic procedure techniques among women across the world.
With many medical advances in cosmetic surgery, physicians nationwide are able to perform a range of procedures in a relatively short period of time, giving mothers everywhere a great opportunity to address physical issues that can develop after pregnancy and years of caring for their children.
However, it’s important to understand that mommy makeover surgeries entail more than just one procedure. Recovering from the average mommy makeover requires special care and attention to avoid medical complications. Pearl Recovery and Wellness’ experienced staff can help provide tips and clarity on the entire recovery process. Start planning your recovery today with Pearl Recovery Retreat if this is a set of cosmetic procedures you are currently considering.
Mommy Makeover Recovery Timeline
The recovery time associated with mommy makeover surgeries is largely dependent on the type and number of surgeries performed. Procedures typically involved with a mommy makeover surgery include, among others:
- Breast Reductions
- Breast Augmentations
- Buttock Augmentation
- Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Tummy Tucks
Because of the range of procedures performed during one mommy makeover surgery, the initial phase of recovery lasts anywhere from 7 to 10 days, and long term recovery at home may last several weeks to months.
Mommy Makeover Recovery Tips
Mommy makeover surgical procedures can leave patients feeling physically exhausted and in pain. That is why we recommend patients follow these general tips:
- Stay in a postoperative recovery suite for at least one night after your surgery. Recovering at a professional care facility will allow you to have experienced medical staff on-hand to mitigate the risk of complications, infections, or medical emergencies.
- Ensure that during the first few weeks of your recovery, you have someone present to help you perform basic, everyday tasks such as dressing, walking, and bathing.
- Do not drive your car or exert yourself physically until your pain has fully subsided.
- Do not lift anything heavier than 10 lbs. We do not recommend holding babies or toddlers in the short term recovery window as this may exacerbate pain and cause strain on your recovering body tissue and joints.
- Cease all smoking and nicotine intake during your recovery. Smoking weakens your immune system and strains your lungs, ultimately extending your recovery time and leaving you vulnerable to complications.
- Keep all stitches dry until removed.
- While most patients stay on pain medication for the first 24 – 72 hours after surgery, many find that they are able to switch to Extra Strength Tylenol after the initial 72 hour post-surgery period. It is important to avoid Aspirin, Advil, and non-steroidal pain medications during your recovery.
- Take all antibiotics prescribed to you until finished. It is essential that you take all antibiotics prescribed as stopping antibiotic treatment before completion can lead to severe, antibiotic-resistant infection.
- After the first week of your mommy makeover surgery recovery, begin light exercise and maintain a balanced, nutritious diet with plenty of fluids. Remember: a healthy body recovers faster!
For patients who elected to include a vaginal rejuvenation procedure in their mommy makeover surgery suite, be sure to:
- Avoid tampons for 6-8 weeks following your procedure or until your surgeon tells you otherwise.
- Avoid sexual activity for 6-8 weeks following your procedure or until your surgeon tells you otherwise.
For those patients who included breast surgery, liposuction, or a tummy tuck procedure in their mommy makeover surgery suite, be sure to:
- NOT lift your arms, push, or pull anything until your surgeon clears you to do so.
While you may resume light physical activities such as walking or lifting, it is recommended that you do not surpass a maximum weight of 5 pounds within the first few days of surgery. Most surgeons advise their patients not to return to their regular workout routine for 6 weeks.
- NOT swim in a pool or the ocean for 3 weeks following surgery.
- NOT remove or touch surgical drains unless advised by your surgeon to do so.
- Wear your recovery bandages and/or recovery bra at all times until your surgeon advises you to remove them.
- Sleep on your back to avoid compressing tender tissue in and around the surgical site.
For more information regarding individual surgery recovery tips and timelines, please visit our Breast Surgery Recovery Tips, Liposuction Recovery Tips, Tummy Tuck Recovery tips pages.
Why You Should Choose the Best Post Operative Care
Pearl Recovery Retreat and Wellness is the premier destination for comprehensive postoperative recovery care with luxurious, five-star amenities.
Guests who stay with us may also enjoy the amenities of our location within the Viceroy L’Ermitage Hotel in Beverly Hills, where they will have convenient access to gourmet in-room dining, shopping, a rooftop patio and pool with stunning 360-degree views of Los Angeles, and complimentary local car service.
Recover from your mommy makeover surgery in style and plan your stay today.