Liposuction Recovery Guidelines
Liposuction is a great way to get rid of the stubborn fat you cannot seem to lose no matter how much you diet or exercise. Additionally, expert Beverly Hills plastic surgeons use liposuction to sculpt and contour their patients’ bodies so they truly look their best! In 2015, liposuction was the #1 performed plastic surgery procedure in the United States, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Since it is the most popular plastic surgery procedures, at Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness, our nurses are thoroughly prepared to care for you during your liposuction recovery.
Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness is the most trusted after care facility by Beverly Hills plastic surgeons, and therefore our experienced nurses have been trained on each surgeon’s specific liposuction recovery protocols to ensure that you have a safe and comfortable healing process.
Liposuction Aftercare Protocols
Below are the most common liposuction aftercare protocols that we receive from our referring plastic surgeons. Your Pearl nurse’s goal is to follow these protocols to make your recovery process as easy and relaxing as possible so you can return to your daily life feeling beautiful and refreshed!
- Recovery Garments – Your plastic surgeon will provide you with the proper compression garments to wear after surgery. You should wear the garments 24/7 (unless you are showering) in your initial recovery period. The total amount of time you will be required to wear the compression garments depends on the areas that were treated with liposuction.
- Drains – Drains may be placed to remove excess blood and fluid from the surgical area so that you have less inflammation and bruising and to prevent seromas. If small drains are placed, your nurse will empty the drains every 6 – 8 hours and record the output of each drain for your surgeon to see. Keeping track of the fluid output helps your surgeon determine how long the drains need to stay in for. Your nurse will also clean the drains to prevent any infection.
- Dressing Changes & Cleaning Incisions – Your nurse will change your dressings, gently clean your incisions with hydrogen peroxide, and apply more antibiotic ointment as instructed by your surgeon.
- Walking – While you may think recovering from surgery means laying in bed all day, it is actually very important to get up and out of bed every 2 -3 hours and walk slowly around the room. This reduces the risk of blood clots.
- Pain – Most patients stay on pain medication for the first 24 – 72 hours after surgery. Your nurse will administer your pain medication as directed by your surgeon to make sure you stay comfortable and in as little pain as possible during this time. After the initial 24 – 72 hours most patients switch over to Extra Strength Tylenol to manage any lingering pain
- It is important to avoid Aspirin, Advil, and non-steroidal pain medications during your recovery.
- Antibiotics – Your nurse will make sure you take your antibiotics on schedule to help prevent any possible infections.
- Showering – It is important not to get your incision wet, so our nurses will help you bathe or shower to keep those areas dry.
- Stitches – Your stitches will be removed by your surgeon 6 – 8 days after surgery.
- Diet – At Pearl we provide you with the most nutritious foods after surgery so that your body has the proper energy to fuel the recovery process. We offer several diet choices, including kosher, halal, vegetarian, and vegan diets. (Additional charges may apply)
What To Expect In The Days, Weeks & Months After Liposuction
Keep in mind that every patient is unique and will have a different postoperative experience after liposuction, but in general, a patient can expect to experience the following:
- You can resume light physical activities such as walking within the first few days of surgery.
- Patients normally return to work within 5 – 10 days of surgery.
- You will experience bruising for 1 – 3 weeks.
- You will experience swelling for 2 – 8 weeks.
- The liposuction areas will be sensitive, tender or even numb for 1 – 3 weeks.
- DO NOT swim in a pool or the ocean for 3 weeks following surgery.
- DO NOT drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
- Wear your compression garments for as long as your surgeon instructs you to, normally 3 – 6 weeks.
- Most surgeons advise their patients not to return to their regular workout routine for 3 – 4 weeks. Please make sure you receive clearance to resume working out from your surgeon.
- If you need to use a scar cream on your incisions, you can begin using it at around 4-6 weeks, but check with your surgeon to see what he recommends.
Schedule Your Recovery At Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness Today!
If you are having liposuction with a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, we hope you choose Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness to take care of you after surgery! It is our promise to help you recover in the safest and most serene environment so you can heal faster and start enjoying your results as soon as possible! Call us today to reserve your stay at Pearl – (310) 736-1009.
*The following information is just a general overview. Each surgeon has slightly different recovery guidelines for their patients. You must confirm your surgeon’s exact recovery protocols to ensure you have a safe and successful recovery.