Knee Surgery and Replacement Recovery Tips
About Knee Replacements and Surgery
Knee replacement, also referred to as “arthroplasty,” is a medical procedure that resurfaces a knee that is damaged by arthritis or a pre-existing joint condition. Portions of bone or cartilage may be removed from the knee joint and replaced with metal and synthetic components.
Recovery after knee surgery is an individualized experience that can vary depending on the severity of your pre-existing conditions or extent of your knee replacement or surgery. As this is an especially delicate part of the body, anyone undergoing knee replacement should follow recovery tips from their surgeons as well as medical experts who understand the importance of post-op care after knee surgery.
Knee Replacement Recovery Tips
- Light exercise: As soon as you are given approval by your surgeon, start light exercises that can help increase mobility, improve your muscular strength, and improve balance. In many cases, you will begin light exercise within the first 24-hours after knee surgery
- Low impact physical activity: To help with a quick recovery after knee surgery, it is advised that you resume physical activity as soon as possible. Your knee replacement recovery time will depend largely on mobilizing your knee joint to avoid prolonged recovery time or an irreparably stiff and weak joint. You may start low impact activities such as swimming or stationary cycling around 6 to 12 weeks after your procedure.
- Seek physical therapy: One of the most important tips for knee replacement recovery is to seek physical therapy that complements your post-surgical care. Regular physical therapy can help you to regain strength and your ability to perform routine tasks that require your knee to bend and support weight.
- Massage: Gentle or light massage can be therapeutic and reduce swelling and scarring by encouraging circulation.
- Rest: While pushing through the pain to get back to normal may seem like the best course of action, one of the most important tips for knee replacement recovery is to give your body the adequate rest it needs to heal and repair.
- Cold Therapy: While you will be prescribed a course of pain medication as you recover after knee surgery, applying ice packs to the surgical site can help keep swelling down and reduce pain. Place an ice pack on the surgical site for 15-20 minutes at a time to reduce pain and swelling.
- Healthy Diet: A healthy diet that includes nourishing nutrients, such as vitamins C and A, can encourage rapid healing. After knee surgery, you may choose to enrich your diet with foods rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin A such as citrus fruits, strawberries, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and carrots.
- Movement: Your physician will likely prescribe at-home rehabilitation exercises to help restore your strength and mobility after knee surgery. To ensure a quick recovery after knee surgery, follow this exercise schedule regularly and do not deviate from your physician’s instructions. Should you experience sustained pain or swelling throughout your recovery period, seek immediate medical attention.
Tips for Knee Replacement Surgery Recovery: Get The Best Postoperative Care
Because of how physically demanding recovering from knee surgery can be, we recommend that all patients seek professional post-surgical care whenever possible.
Friends and family members may provide emotional support during this recovery period; however, this time after knee surgery can be difficult for many family members and friends to provide the support you need for a full recovery. Professional post-op nurses are often required to ensure patients avoid medical complications or further injury.
Plan Your Stay at Pearl Recovery Retreat
At Pearl Recovery Retreat, we specialize in combining an attentive level of medical care with luxurious, five-star amenities.
Staffed by a team of medical experts and the best post-surgical care nurses, we are ready to attend to the needs of patients who are recovering from a range of cosmetic and medical procedures.
If you are planning on having knee replacement surgery, we invite you to stay with us. Contact us online today to start planning your restorative stay after knee surgery.