Breast Augmentation Recovery Tips & Guidelines
Breast augmentation surgery is one of the most common plastic surgery procedures performed every year in the United States. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, in 2015, 305,856 women had breast augmentation. Since it is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures, at Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness, our nurses are thoroughly prepared to care for you during your breast augmentation recovery. Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness is the most trusted aftercare facility by Beverly Hills plastic surgeons. Therefore, our experienced nurses have been trained on each surgeon’s specific breast augmentation recovery tips and protocols to ensure that you have a safe and comfortable healing process.
Breast Augmentation Recovery Tips & Aftercare Protocols
Below are the most common breast augmentation aftercare protocols that we receive from our referring plastic surgeons. Your Pearl nurse’s goal is to follow these protocols to make your recovery process as easy and relaxing as possible so you can return to your daily life feeling beautiful and refreshed.
- Recovery Bandage or Bra: Your plastic surgeon will either provide you with a gauze dressing and an elastic bandage or a support bra to wear after surgery. Regardless of which your surgeon provides you with, you should wear it 24/7 (unless you are showering) in your initial recovery period. In fact, most surgeons require their patients to wear their recovery bra for up to 6 weeks after surgery.
- Dressing Changes and Incision Cleaning: Your nurse will change your dressings, gently clean your incisions with hydrogen peroxide, and apply more antibiotic ointment as instructed by your surgeon.
- Walking: Many breast augmentation surgeons want our nurses to get their patients up and out of bed every 2 -3 hours and have them walk slowly around their recovery room. Getting up and walking around helps prevent blood clots.
- Pain Management: Most patients stay on pain medication for the first 24-72 hours after surgery. Your nurse will administer your pain medication as directed by your surgeon to make sure you stay comfortable and in as little pain as possible during this time. After the initial 24-72 hours, most patients switch over to Extra Strength Tylenol to manage any lingering pain.
- It is important to avoid Aspirin, Advil, and non-steroidal pain medications during your recovery.
- Antibiotics: Your nurse will make sure you take your antibiotics on schedule to help prevent any possible infections.
- Sleeping: It is important that you only sleep on your back after surgery and not on your stomach or sides. Your nurse will make sure you are properly and comfortably elevated in your luxurious memory foam bed.
- Showering: It is important not to get your incision wet, so our nurses will help you bathe or shower to keep those areas dry.
- Stitches: Your stitches will be removed by your surgeon 6-8 days after surgery.
- Diet: At Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness, we provide you with the most nutritious foods after surgery so that your body has the proper energy to fuel the recovery process. We offer several diet choices, including kosher, halal, vegetarian, and vegan diets.
Breast Augmentation Recovery Timeline
Keep in mind that every patient is unique and will have a different postoperative experience after a breast augmentation, but in general, a patient can expect to experience the following:
- Your breasts will be sensitive for 2-3 weeks.
- Wear your recovery bra for 6 weeks following surgery.
- Patients normally return to work within 5-10 days of surgery.
- Avoid swimming in a pool or the ocean for 3 weeks following surgery.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or smoke cigarettes for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
- Avoid lifting your arms, pushing, or pulling anything until your surgeon clears you to do so.
- Most surgeons advise their patients not to return to their regular workout routine for 6 weeks.
- If you need to use a scar cream, begin using it at around 4-6 weeks, but check with your surgeon’s recommendations.
- You can resume light physical activities such as walking or lifting a maximum of 5 pounds within the first few days of surgery.
Book Your Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness Stay
If you have a breast augmentation surgery planned with a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, we hope you choose Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness to take care of you after surgery! We promise to help you recover in the safest and most serene environment so you can heal faster and start enjoying your results as soon as possible. Contact us today to reserve your stay at Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness.
*** The information above is a general overview. Each surgeon has different recovery guidelines. Confirm your surgeon’s recovery protocols to ensure safe, successful healing.