Undergoing chin augmentation surgery can be stressful, but there are ways to promote healing after a mentoplasty. Here’s what you should know.
So you finally took the plunge and got chin augmentation or are planning to get one. At this point, you’ll be very excited to see your new look. While it is a big step, you have to be fully prepared for it. And no, we are not talking about financial prep (though that’s very important as well). We are talking about researching all the information about the procedure and the chin augmentation recovery period that follows.
While most people are very diligent when it comes to learning about the procedure or the surgeon, they typically neglect the post-operative part. This is one of the biggest mistakes. Knowing what goes into the recovery of chin augmentation surgery will help you prepare in advance and enable you to get the best possible results from the procedure.
Daily Care Post Chin Augmentation
Here is an overview of what you need to do after chin surgery or mentoplasty:
- Your chin will still be covered with the dressing until the morning after the surgery. You might not feel too great due to the after-effects of anesthesia. It is important to relax and keep your head elevated while sleeping. The dressing will be removed one day after the surgery and tape will be applied to the incision.
- Your surgeon will ask you to drink only liquids for the first 24 hours of the surgery and stick to soft foods for at least 2 weeks post the surgery.
- You will be asked to rinse your mouth with the recommended mouth wash after each meal especially if the implant was place intraorally.
- You will have to take care of your incisions. It is best to keep them clean and dry at all times.
- Use the antibiotic ointment over the incision as recommended by your surgeon. Moreover, also take any oral medications prescribed by your surgeon.
- Strenuous exercising, heavy lifting, and contact sports are a big no post the surgery.
- Avoid smoking, drinking, and consuming blood thinners.
- Do not skip on the follow up appointments. They are crucial to ensure everything is working well and you are healing at the right place.
What to Expect During Mentoplasty Recovery Phase?
Even if you follow all the post-surgical instructions carefully, there are certain unpleasant elements that accompany the healing process. Some of them include:
Swelling is a very normal part of the healing process. The intensity of swelling will differ for different people. If the swelling tends to increase for the initial 3 to 4 days, do not freak out. For most patients, it will get worse before it starts to subside.
Expect it to last anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks. After that, the majority of the swelling will go down. The remainder of the swelling can take up to 3 months to subside but it is barely visible. Keeping your head elevated as much as possible always helps. Avoid heavy lifting, exercising, bending over, and sun exposure for the first few weeks post-surgery to help with swelling.
Almost every patient has some bruising post chin augmentation. The intensity of discoloration is different for different patients. It typically lasts anywhere from 10 to 14 days post-chin augmentation surgery. Avoid taking any blood-thinning medication, alcohol, or herbal supplements as they can worsen the discoloration. If the bruising lingers for longer, consult your surgeon.
If your chin and jaw feel numb after the surgery, don’t freak out as it is completely normal. It takes patients anywhere from a few weeks to months to start feeling completely normal again. Some patients also report sensations like pins, needles alongside minor discomfort in the chin and jaw area during the recovery phase.
Some patients undergo mild depression after surgery. It typically comes around during the second week of recovery when the patient is still healing and dealing with post-surgical swelling, bruising and discomfort. It can get quite overwhelming and frustrating for patients especially if they are all by themselves. It is important to keep yourself positive, occupy yourself with some internet, TV, or magazines.
Choosing a Post Op Care Center for Recovery
Recovery post chin augmentation seems daunting and is definitely quite difficult. Some people try to navigate everything by themselves with little to no help and it can get very frustrating, very soon. Most patients are unable to care for themselves properly which slows down the recovery and can lead to not so great consequences.
The best way to go about recovery is to choose a Post Op Care Center such as Pearl Recovery Retreat & Wellness as it will allow you to rest and recover properly with the right help. Some of the top benefits of choosing a recovery center are:
- A recovery center will have all the professionals on board that will make your healing easy.
- You will be able to rest completely without worrying about house chores, work or entertaining any guests.
- All your meals will be prepared as per your surgeon’s instructions so you won’t have to be your own chef while recovering from the after-effects of the surgery.
- The professionals ensure you are getting adequate rest, taking all your meds on time, having proper nutrition. All these elements will allow you to recover in quickly.
- You can receive private duty nursing to aid in the healing process in a confidential and calming manner.
- You can have guests over without worrying about how you are going to entertain them.
- You will have your own private space that includes your room, washroom, entertainment unit, and staff at your service for 24 hours of the day.
Chin augmentation and mentoplasty is certainly an amazing procedure to enhance your facial appearance. The surgery is followed by an extensive recovery period. Any patient who wishes to achieve the best outcome from the surgery needs to take care of themselves properly during the recovery time.
Going through the recovery phase all by yourself can get pretty exhausting, frustrating and can be a source of depression for many. The best way to go about recovery is choosing a post-op care center where you will be taken care of by the professionals.
It will result in a quick and smooth recovery and you’ll be able to enjoy the results.