Facelift Recovery Guidelines
A facelift is a comprehensive surgery to address the signs of aging on the face, including wrinkles, loose sagging skin, marionette lines, jowls, a double chin or turkey neck. Today, when plastic surgeons perform this procedure it is customized to the specific anti-aging needs of each individual patient. Therefore, the surgery can range from a mini-facelift all the way to a full facelift with neck lift. Regardless of the type of facelift you have, at Pearl Recovery Retreat, our nurses are thoroughly prepared to care for you during your facelift recovery.
Pearl Recovery Retreat is the most trusted after care facility by Beverly Hills facelift surgeons, and therefore our experienced nurses have been trained on each surgeon’s specific facelift recovery protocols to ensure that you have a safe and comfortable healing process.
Facelift Aftercare Protocols
Below are the most common facelift aftercare protocols that we receive from our referring plastic surgeons. Your Pearl nurse’s goal is to follow these protocols to make your recovery process as easy and relaxing as possible so you can return to your daily life feeling beautiful and refreshed!
- Drains – Drains may be placed to remove excess blood and fluid from the surgical area so that you have less inflammation and bruising. If small drains are placed, your nurse will empty the drains every 6 – 8 hours and record the output of each drain for your surgeon to see. Keeping track of the fluid output helps your surgeon determine how long the drains need to stay in for. Your nurse will also clean the drains to prevent any infection
- Dressing Changes & Cleaning Incisions - Your nurse will change your dressings, gently clean your incisions with hydrogen peroxide, and apply more antibiotic ointment as instructed by your surgeon.
- Icing – Applying cold compresses to your face for the first 72 hours after surgery will help reduce bruising and swelling. Your nurse will make sure you always have a fresh cold compress and time your application schedule.
- Pain – Most patients will stay on pain medication for the first 48 – 72 hours after surgery. Your nurse will administer your pain medication as directed by your surgeon to make sure you stay comfortable and in as little pain as possible during this time. After the initial 48 - 72 hours most patients use extra strength Tylenol to manage any lingering pain
- It is important to avoid Aspirin, Advil, and non-steroidal pain medications during your recovery.
- Antibiotics – Your nurse will make sure you take your antibiotics on schedule to help prevent any possible infections.
- Wraps – Most surgeons recommend you wear your wrap garments as much as possible for the first week after a facelift. We will make sure you always have your wrap on and if any irritation occurs we will help make the wrap more comfortable.
- Keep Your Head Elevated – It is important to keep your head elevated for at least 1 - 2 weeks after a facelift. Your nurse will make sure you are properly, and comfortably, elevated in your luxurious memory foam bed.
- Showering – It is important not to get your incision wet, so our nurses will help you bathe or shower to keep those areas dry.
Stitches – Your stitches will be removed by your surgeon 6 – 8 days after surgery.
- Diet – At Pearl we provide you with the most nutritious foods after surgery so that your body has the proper energy to fuel the recovery process. We offer several diet choices, including kosher, halal, vegetarian, and vegan diets. (Additional charges may apply)
What To Expect In The Days, Weeks & Months After A Facelift
Keep in mind that every patient is unique and will have a different postoperative experience after a facelift, but in general, a patient can expect to experience the following:
- Bruising lasts for approximately 7 – 14 days
Initial swelling lasts for approximately 7 - 21 days. Keep in mind that there is a significant amount of variability in bruising depending on the surgical techniques, the individual’s healing process, and the actual surgeries performed.
- You may experience numbness of their ears for up to 8 weeks.
Feeling facial tightness is fairly common in the first 6 – 8 weeks but will mostly subside after that in a majority of patients.
- Most facelift patients return to and normal social functions within approximately 10 – 14 days.
- You can generally resume your exercise routine after 3 weeks.
Patients are ready for black tie functions/important events within approximately 4 weeks.
Schedule Your Recovery At Pearl Recovery Retreat Today!
If you are having a facelift with a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, we hope you choose Pearl Recovery Retreat to take care of you after surgery! It is our promise to help you recover in the safest and most serene environment so you can heal faster and start enjoying your results as soon as possible! Call us today to reserve your stay at Pearl – (310) 736-1009.
*The following information is just a general overview. Each surgeon has slightly different recovery guidelines for their patients. You must confirm your surgeon’s exact recovery protocols to ensure you have a safe and successful recovery.